By 28 Νοεμβρίου 2023 No Comments

In 1864-67 the fort of Metsovo was built, incorporating a mosque.

A picture of the fort taken by Hubert Pernot, a French linguist and Hellenist who visited Epirus in 1913, one year after the liberation of Metsovo. (Hubert Pernot, Neohellenic Institute, Sorbonne)

In 1912, after Metsovo was liberated, the fort gradually collapsed and was covered in earth, thus creating the hill that is still known as the «Castle».