Between 1430 and 1912, Metsovo and the entire area of Northern Greece were under Ottoman rule. Initially, Metsovo fell under the sanjak (administrative region) of Trikala but after the mid-19th century it was governed by the Pasha of Ioannina.
Throughout those five centuries, the Vlach-speaking community of mountainous Metsovo participated in the economic life of the vast empire, paying taxes to the central administration and developing commercial relationships with a wide network of cities (including the capital Istanbul) as well as with some cities that lay beyond the borders of the Ottoman state. At the same time, Metsovo constituted an integral part of the Ottoman administrative and military organisation, at times serving as the headquarters for Ottoman officials.
The fort of Metsovo, which housed the Ottoman administration and military guard, as well as a mosque, was built between 1864 and 1867.
Until the beginning of the 20th century, there was a seven-member “Committee” consisting of representatives of Metsovo’s villages (mahalades).
The Committee represented the Metsovites before Ottoman authorities and was responsible for basic services in Metsovo (e.g. water supply, market inspection, public order) and for compiling tax lists.
The Committee was dominated by financially powerful groups such as rich livestock farmers and kyratzides (caravan owners) however, after the 19th century, increasing numbers of members came from the bourgeois who had made their fortunes through commerce.